One dead, four missing following residential building collapse in Turkish city of Istanbul

Police, ambulances and rescue workers are seen at the site of a collapsed residential building in the Kartal district, Istanbul, Turkey.

At least one person was killed and four others were left under rubble after an eight-storey residential building collapsed in Istanbul, Turkish private broadcaster NTV said on Wednesday.

It was not immediately clear why the building, in the Kartal district on the Asian side of the city, had collapsed but NTV said prosecutors had launched an investigation into the incident.

Istanbul Governor Ali Yerlikaya told reporters at the site that 43 people were registered in 14 apartments at the address, but added that the top three floors of the building had been built illegally.

Yerlikaya also said there was a textile workshop on the ground floor of the building that was operating without a license. He declined to comment on the number of casualties.

The chairman for Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) said search and rescue operations were underway, adding that additional personnel would be requested from neighbouring provinces if necessary.

President Tayyip Erdogan sent the interior and environment ministers to the site, state-owned Anadolu agency reported.

Television footage showed emergency teams pulling a woman out of the rubble as dozens of bystanders watched near the debris. Aerial views of the area showed roads leading to the building blocked by vehicles and crowds.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s