Traders at the popular Akande and Althaoheed markets all in Ogbomoso, Oyo State are counting their loses after night fire incidents consumed goods worth over N100m at the two markets on Tuesday evening.
The fire which started around 7pm at Akanda market consumed no fewer than 30 shops at the market situated at Caretaker axis of Ogbomoso.
Many shops at Althaoheed were also affected during the fire incident which occurred on Tuesday night at the market.
One of the victims of the inferno at Akande market lamented how the occupants of the market lost everything, stressing that they couldn’t get any help from the men of the Fire Service to rescue the situation.
He said, “Immediately the incident started, calls were put through to them but there was no positive response based on logistic.
“If they had come earlier, the damages wouldn’t be this much.”
A member of the state House of Assembly, representing Ogbomoso South, Barrister Solomon Akande who visited the market on Wednesday morning however described the incident as shocking.
Akande said he was sad that such tragic incident happened at this moment when people were managing resources.
Another member of the State House of Assembly representing Ogbomoso North, Hon. Bimbo Oladeji appealed to the state government to swing into action and come to the aid of the affected traders.
Oladeji said “I was shocked and sad about the fire incident at Akande and Althaoheed markets.
“My thoughts and prayers are with the market men and women.
“We appeal to the Oyo State Government to come to the aid of the affected traders.”