Eleven dead, eighteen injured as gunman attacks church in Anambra


The people of Ozubulu community in Ekwusigo local government area of Anambra State were thrown into mourning in the early hours of Sunday 6th August as a gunman walked into St Philip’s Catholic Church and started shooting sporadically, killing 11 and injuring 18 persons.

The deceased and injured victims were taken to the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital in Nnewi.

The governor of Anambra state, Willie Obaino who visited the scene to ascertain the level of damage and sympathize with the people, revealed that preliminary security investigations show that the shooting was caused by a feud between two brothers from the community living outside Nigeria.

Read the report by the Governor’s Senior Special Assistant on Social Media, Ifeanyi.
The Ozubulu community in Ekwusigo local government area of Anambra State were this morning thrown into mourning as a gunman walked into St Philip’s Catholic Church and started shooting sporadically, killing 11 and injuring 18 persons. On hearing the sad development, Governor Obiano stormed the scene to ascertain the level of damage and sympathize with the people.

Speaking at the church premises, the governor revealed that preliminary security investigations show that the shooting was caused by a feud between two brothers from the community living outside Nigeria.

“This is sacrilegious, totally unacceptable in Anambra State,” Gov Obiano said.

The deeply saddened governor asked the people to go about their businesses without fear or panic noting that this isolated case must be followed to the root and all perpetrators must be brought to book.

“We can’t allow this happen in Anambra, we must get everyone involved to face the music,” the governor declared.

Gov Obiano also visited Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, Nnewi where the injured are being treated.

Thanking over fifty doctors who were on ground looking after the injured, the governor assured their families that all medical bills will be taken care of by the State Government.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The Anambra state Commissioner of Police, Garba Umar, has dismissed claims that the massacre was carried out by Boko Haram members. Some members of the state had earlier speculated that the attack was carried out by members of the terrorist group.

In an interview with newsmen, Garba who visited the scene after the attack that left eight persons dead, said the person who fired the gunshot, spoke Igbo during the attack.

“From our findings, it is very clear that the person who carried the attack must be an indigene of the area. The man after shooting at his targeted victims still went on a shooting spree, killing and wounding other worshippers. Information available to police showed that the attacker was speaking Igbo at the time he was firing at worshippers,” he said

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s