A large portion of a multimillion-dollar seaside cycleway collapsed in the Brazilian capital city of Rio de Janeiro, on Thursday, killing two people and injuring three others.
The incident comes as a setback to Rio which is the host city for the 2016 Summer Olympics.
The deaths came hours after the Olympic torch was lit in Greece as a prelude to the Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro.
According to the city’s government, a strong wave struck, causing a 50-meter (164-foot) stretch of the path to detach and drop 800 meters (nearly half a mile) to Sao Conrado Beach.
Rio de Janeiro municipal spokesman Pedro Paulo Carvalho told journalists at the scene that at least two people had died.
Firefighters said the victims were two males and that three other people had been rescued.
Carvalho said the city was contacting the engineers who designed the path to “check and revise” the project, which is scheduled to be extended to the Barra neighborhood in southern Rio.
The $12 million cycleway, which the city’s Mayor Eduardo Paes inaugurated in January, was part of the city’s major renovation projects before the 2016 Games, which is slated to begin in August.
The project cost 45million reais, equivalent to $13million and £8million.
People near the path used social media shortly after 11 a.m. to alert authorities and warn people to stay clear.
Witnesses said five people were on the path when about 50m (150ft) crumbled into the shoreline, in late morning local time.
Search operations are under way.