16 dead, 46 kidnapped as armed group strikes village in Congo

image

Congolese official and civil society groups said on Wednesday in Beni (Democratic Republic of the Congo) that sixteen civilians had been assassinated by an armed group in eastern Congo.
They said that the discovery of the bodies on Tuesday and Wednesday morning in Buleusa was after the disappearance of 46 people in the village since Saturday.

Local official, Joy Bokele, attributed the killings to the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), a Hutu rebel group from neighbouring Rwanda that opposes Tutsi influence in eastern Congo.
“They are waging a terror campaign kidnapping civilians and burning down entire villages.

Bokele said the FDLR was trying to scare off the Union of Patriots for the Defence of Innocents (UPDI), a community militia defending territory against the Rwandan rebel group. He added that the FDLR was carrying out killings in villages where many UPDI members came from, the official added.
Bokele said the army was planning to send soldiers to the area.

Dozens of armed groups have remained active in eastern Congo since the 1996-2003 Congo wars, sparked by more than 1 million Rwandans flooding into the region after the 1994 Rwandan genocide.

One thought on “16 dead, 46 kidnapped as armed group strikes village in Congo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s