A white Chicago police officer who shot a black teenager 16 times last year has been charged with first-degree murder, state lawyers have said.
It comes a day ahead of the expected release of a police care dashcam video showing Jason Van
Dyke shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.
Mr Van Dyke turned himself in on Tuesday morning in Chicago.
Police use of excessive force against African Americans has been the subject of protests for
more than a year.
In Minneapolis on Monday night, one of those protests was marred by violence when three white
men opened fire at a rally over another fatal police shooting.
Five protesters were injured during the shooting.
Five people were hurt and the perpetrators, who witnesses say were masked, are still at large.
In the Chicago case, a post-mortem showed that McDonald was shot at least twice in the back.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has said the officer was not justified in killing the teen, calling his actions “hideous”.
“At every point, he violated what we entrust,” Mr Emanuel said on Monday.
Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner has said the video is “very troubling” and he expects a strong public
reaction, thought he hopes it will be “thoughtful and peaceful”.