Police shoots terrorist dead in Paris; female suspect blows herself up

image

A number of suspects are holed up in a building amid a major police
operation in the Paris suburb of Saint-Denis, officials say, as the hunt continues for people believed to be involved in the deadly terrorist attacks that rocked the French capital five days ago.

Witnesses reported sounds of gunfire amid a police raid in the northern Paris suburb of Saint-Denis as authorities hunt for two suspects from Friday’s deadly terrorist attacks who are believed to be at large.

Police blocked off roads early Wednesday in Saint- Denis, which is home to the Stade de France
sports stadium where three suicide bombings took place on Friday.

BFMTV reported that police officers
have been wounded by gunfire during a raid seeking one of the suspects in the wave of violence across Paris , which killed at least 129 people and wounded hundreds more.

French police wouldn’t comment on whether any officers had been shot in the Saint-Denis operation.

BFMTV reported that the police raid was linked to the hunt for the so-called “ninth suspect,” who
may appear in a video recorded by a witness to the attacks.

Police have been analyzing the video, which shows two gunmen inside a black car linked to the
attacks and perhaps a third individual driving the car, French media reported.

Seven of the attackers were killed during the wave of violence Friday night, and an international arrest
warrant is already out for one suspect, Salah Abdeslam, a 26-year-old Frenchman.

image

Salah Abdesalam, the wanted suspect

The identity of the possible ninth suspect is unknown.

Abdeslam’s older brother has urged the suspect, who was last seen driving toward the Belgian border hours after the attacks, to turn himself over to authorities.

“I would tell him to surrender. That’s the best solution,” Mohamed Abdeslam said on Tuesday. “But of course, if he has
something to do with it, he must accept responsibility.”

In their push to unravel the attack plot and the suspected network behind it, counterterrorism and
intelligence officials say investigators have uncovered a clue that could be a big break: cell
phones believed to belong to the attackers.

According to the officials, one of the phones contained a message, sent sometime before the attacks began, to the effect of: OK, we’re ready.

Investigators have found encrypted apps on the phones, which appear to have left no trace of messages or any indication of who would have
been receiving them, according to officials briefed on the French investigation.

Mohamed Abdeslam said the last time he saw his brothers was about a week ago.

“They left without saying goodbye,” he said. Now one of them is a wanted fugitive. And authorities say another Abdeslam brother, Ibrahim, 31, was among the seven terrorists who either killed themselves or were killed by police in a series of coordinated attacks across the French capital on Friday night that killed at least 129
people and wounded hundreds more.

Mohamed Abdeslam said that before the attacks, he’d noticed his brothers changing and adopting more radical views. He suspects the Internet could have played a role. But he said his family was shocked by the attack, and had no idea what they were planning.

“My brother who participated in this terrorist act must have been psychologically ready to commit
such an act. These are not regular people,” he said. “You cannot have the slightest doubt that they have been prepared, that they must not leave any trace which would cause suspicion that they might do such things. And even if you saw them every day, their behavior was quite normal.”

Police stopped Salah Abdeslam hours after the attacks in a car on his way toward the Belgian border. They let him go because he apparently hadn’t yet been linked to the terrorist operation.

Both he and Ibrahim were previously known to authorities.

Belgian prosecutor Eric Van Der Sypt said that police questioned the Abdeslam brothers in February.

“Ibrahim tried to go to Syria and was sent back by the Turks in the beginning of 2015,” Van Der Sypt
said. “It was after that that we questioned him.”

Both brothers were released, the federal prosecutor said, after they denied wanting to go to Syria.

He said Belgian authorities were also trying to keep an eye on Bilal Hadfi, one of the suicide bombers
who struck outside the Stade de France, according to several sources. “We knew (Hadfi) was in
Syria,” Van Der Sypt said. “But what we didn’t know is apparently he was back, as he blew himself up in Paris. But we had no knowledge of
the fact that he was back in Europe.”

French President, Francois Hollande has proposed extending the state of emergency for a further three months, along with sweeping new anti-terrorism laws.

Security forces conducted more than 128 new raids around the country overnight, Interior
Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said on Tuesday during a radio interview.

Meanwhile, outside the country, French warplanes have launched wave after wave of airstrikes on
ISIS’ de facto capital of Raqqa in northern Syria, and a major Belgian police operation was conducted on Monday in the Abdeslams’ home base in Molenbeek , a Brussels suburb with a history of links to Islamist terror plots.

image

Belgian authorities say two men detained over the weekend in Molenbeek in connection with the
attacks are now under arrest for “attempted terrorism and participation in the activities of a
terrorist group.”

Before the Paris attacks, France and its allies had tried to target a prominent ISIS member who is
believed to have planned the assault on the French capital, a French source close to the investigation said.

Western intelligence agencies had attempted to track Abdelhamid Abaaoud , a Belgian citizen
thought to be in Syria, but they weren’t able to locate him, the source said on Tuesday.

Abaaoud had been implicated in the planning of a number of terrorist attacks and conspiracies in Western Europe before the Paris attacks.
Believed to be close to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al- Baghdadi, he was linked to a plan to attack Belgian
police that was thwarted in January. He has since been featured in ISIS’ online English-language magazine. His current whereabouts are unknown.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s