Deadly blast rocks Guangxi region in China

image

At least seven people have been killed and 51 others injured after multiple blasts in Guangxi
Zhuang Autonomous Region in southern China, according to local media.

Initial investigations suggest the explosions were caused by 17 parcel bombs in the seat of Liucheng county and the surrounding area, China’s state-run
Xinhua news agency said.

Emergency services rushed to the scenes of the blasts, which caused severe damage to buildings
and vehicles, it said. The first occurred around 3:50.p.m. on Wednesday.

Police named a 33-year-old man from Liucheng Tai Po town as a suspect in the explosions and said
their investigations were continuing, Xinhua reported.

The People’s Daily, a national newspaper, said the suspect paid couriers to deliver the letter bombs
across Liucheng. A further 60 suspicious parcels had been identified and bomb disposal units were “on their way.”

On Thursday, Xinhua reported another explosion at a residential building at around 8 am. There were no initial reports of casualties.

Update: 17 blasts were seen in #Liucheng so far 7 dead, 2 missing, 51 injured. Suspect identified
hunted.
pic.twitter.com/fRgOwxnnSo
— People’s Daily,China (@PDChina)
September 30, 2015

It added there had been separate explosions at locations including a shopping mall, prison, hospital,
public service dormitories and vegetable market.

Authorities said they had ruled out a terrorist attack.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s