The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) on Saturday said it had transported 18,909 intending pilgrims to Saudi Arabia for the 2015 pilgrimage.
About 76,000 intending pilgrims from the 36 states and FCT are expected to participate in this year’s Hajj in Saudi Arabia.
The Director, Public Affairs of the commission, Alhaji Uba Mana, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja that the airlift had been hitch free since it began on Aug. 23.
He said the commission had so far recorded 49 flights of pilgrims mostly from Kaduna, Lagos,
Sokoto, Katsina, Oyo, Lagos, Zamfara and Kogi.
The director also said most of the pilgrims were airlifted direct to Medina, where they were expected
to spend seven days before proceeding to Mecca, while others were transported to Jedda.
“Buses are readily available at Jedda International Airport to transport pilgrims to Medina.
“Those airlifted to Medina on Aug. 23, will move to Mecca on Aug. 29.’’
Mana said the airlift would be concluded on Sept. 15, adding, “ no pilgrim will be left behind.